Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My little town Belfast, Maine anka (also now known as) Chicken Village!!!

Here is a design I did on spec a few years ago for my 'dinnerware' portfolio. I used to develop a portfolio of designs 'in the round' which I then took down to my tabletop (any item that goes on a tabletop...plates, mugs, glassware etc) clients in New York with the hopes of the design being purchased for use on ceramic or porcelain ware....unfortunately this design was left an orphan so I recently decided to recycle it into a celebration of the colourful history of my wonderful town Belfast, Maine.

So here is the reworked design in all it's strutting glory!!

Belfast, Maine is an excellent coastal 'village' at the top of Penobscot Bay, and a wonderful place to live. In the 'olden' days it was a shipbuilding port and Belfast area shipyards built more than 600 sailing vessels during the mid-19th century. It was indeed named after Belfast, Northern Ireland where shipbuilding was also a very important trade.
By the 1950s poultry, sardine and potato companies had set up processing plants along the waterfront. Belfast called itself the “Broiler Capital of New England” and each July thousands came to eat barbequed chicken on 'Broiler Day'. The first 'Broiler Day' was July 10th 1948 and there were 2,000 people in attendance. Learn more about the history of Belfast, Maine at the
Belfast Historical Society and Museum
Celebrate Belfast with a t-shirt from my online store
...or a BBQ apron
...or a mug that says "Greetings from Chicken Village, Maine"

3 comments:

Acornmoon said...

Hi Patricia,

I love your very colorful chicken, I did not know that you live in chicken town.

I hope you get some sunny days, we have your rain at the moment.

Eli said...

How many memories I carry in my heart of my visit to Belfast. It's a beautiful city where I met nice and helpful people. You are very lucky to live there. Have a good day.
Eli

Frances said...

Hello again,

It's grand to have another visit to your site. What beautiful art (and cakes!) you make.

After my first visit a few weeks back, I did look up Belfast, Maine, being quite intrigued.

Glad that you are helping to celebrate the place. What is it like there in winter? I am sure it is still wonderful, but just how chilly does it get?

Best wishes!