Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rock Cakes - simple, sweet and quick

 
Thus called because you mound them in craggy peaks to bake and hope they stay that way. My Mum made these a lot when I was growing up in Manchester and I think I also remember being taught how to make them in Domestic Science class at school - they are pretty much a no fail delight - very easy and nigh on impossible to mess up even for a beginner baker. They taste to me how I wished scones tasted - sweeter and more cakey and they cry out for butter and either jam, honey, lemon curd or even Golden Syrup - they are a mish mash blend of biscuit/cookie/cake/scone and are such a nice treat with a cuppa.

The ingredients are simple:
 and the recipe I used is from "A Tale of 12 Kitchens" by Jake Tilson - family cooking in 4 countries, "every aspect has been created by artist and passionate cook Jake Tilson" - a fun and image filled book.

Pre heat the oven to 375F. Have a buttered baking sheet to hand.

THE INGREDIENTS:
As usual I give the ingredients in weights as you get a more reliable result :)
This recipe makes 8 medium sized cakes/buns

8oz white flour, unbleached preferably
5oz sugar preferably white
4oz/1 stick of butter (I always use salted Kate's but you can use whichever you prefer)
4oz sultanas/white raisins - I only had regular raisins so I used those.
1 large egg whisked with 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
Pinch of salt

THE RECIPE:
1. Put flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl or the bowl of a food processor - chop butter in and either whizz in the machine or as I do because I love the process of baking - gently rub the butter into the flour with your hands until you get a mixture that looks like fine breadcrumbs thus:
 2. Add the raisins and stir to distribute evenly.
3. Stir in the egg/milk mix until the dough comes together.
4. Using a fork pile into craggy heaps onto a buttered baking sheet - 8 piles should do the trick. (You'll see below I only have 4 because I try out the recipe cut in half first in case it doesn't work - plus there are only 2 of us and if I always bake the whole amount we will always eat the whole amount :)

 5. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown
Mine spread quite a lot which I was worried about at first because they weren't looking rocky enough for me but they tasted so good I didn't care and I will make them again the very same way.

Do let me know if you make them and feel free to post pics of such on my Facebook page - HERE!!

HAPPY BAKING

13 comments:

June said...

Yummmmmm...rock cakes! I love rock cakes. And y'know, I do agree with you about these delicious treats and scones. Much as I really do love scones, I have to secretly admit that I wish scones tasted more like rock cakes - sweeter and much more 'cakey' than my scones usually come out tasting (a hint of sweetness, crying out for me, and more bread-y and drier than I'd like). I also love the look of rock cakes - they just look like fun to eat before you even take your first delicious bite of one of them. And you're right again - who can only stop at one rock cake? I'd be just like yourself - if I made more than a half dozen, max, they'd be all eaten within the day and evening, and by the end of the week, I'm sure I'd have gained a few pounds - just from the rock cakes.

Now that Hallowe'en is fast approaching, I'll be trying my hand again this year at making some barm brack. But I think I'm also going to make something that has been long overdue coming out of my oven - gorgeous, sweet, cakey, nubbly, fun to eat rock cakes - with plenty of butter and jam, too. And of course, a big pot of tea (coffee for himself, tea for me).

Thanks for this, Patricia. And thanks for the recipe from the cookbook (which I'm seriously considering buying).

Allie Ingie black said...

Thank you for this long forgotten nostalgic treat. My mom's no longer with us but I'll be sure to share with my siblings. Brings back sweet childhood memories. 💕🤗🙏🏽

Pattern Patisserie said...

Awwww - what a lovely comment Allie - sorry about your Mum - so happy these rock cakes will bring back good memories for you! Appreciatively Patricia 🙏😘

Unknown said...

Hello I have always liked Rock Cakes and these look very tasty. I will bake some soon. Can you tell me what temp: to set the oven, please. Alf

Pattern Patisserie said...

Hello Alf - the oven should be pre heated to 375F/190C about 180C for a fan oven but they can catch quickly with the raisins so keep an eye out - hope you enjoy them! Patricia

Anonymous said...

Although it is listed in the ingredients, the directions fail to mention mixing in the baking powder. I have made this recipe repeatedly--so simple and just lovely for breakfast, with tea or coffee.

Pattern Patisserie said...

Thank you for pointing out about the baking powder - it should be added in the first step with the flour, sugar and salt - I will amend the recipe accordingly and I am so happy you like this recipe - rock cakes are hardly ever made nowadays and they are so simple and deliciious!

Unknown said...

Hi, i made a batch on Saturday and they come out a bit flat but we're nice and spongy, going to try and make some more a bit more rounded. Lol.

Linda B said...

These look wonderful! Cannot wait to try. Suggestion: use cold butter or chill dough before dividing to bake to prevent spread and promote craggy look. Love your blog.

Pattern Patisserie said...

Great idea Linda B - I’ll add that in to the recipe as a suggestion 🙏

Anonymous said...

Which flour plain or s/r flour

Pattern Patisserie said...

Hello Anonymous - as it has baking powder in the recipe please use plain - I hope they come out great - thanks, Patricia

Anonymous said...

Made these today,very nice but a bit sweet for me my husband enjoyed one with a cuppa 😊