Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pretty Snow Day in Maine

 Yesterday the snow fell quietly, consistently and very prettily all day long - the wind barely blew and I couldn't resist going for walk in the late afternoon - my favourite time of the day in a snowfall.
 The 'enchanted forest' - a small patch of old locust trees, beside our house is so other worldly in a snowfall - the trees are gnarly and twisted and their branches catch the snow in pretty, elegant  patterns. These woods are full of an eerie presence yet remain somehow comforting and cosy.



                     Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost (1923)

 Whose woods these are these I think I know

His house is in the village though;
 He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I always expect to see the Narnia lamppost here and wonder if the White Witch will swish by bearing Turkish Delight - you know I wouldn't resist - especially the rose flavoured kind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a magical snow day yesterday. Inspiring for all artists. I also have a spot on our hill, a place where the trails connect in the woods where I imagine a lamppost. Writer Neil Gaiman actually has one in his woods, powered I think with solar.

Che said...

It certainly was a lovely day! I just love it when the snow stays on the trees like that. It truly does make the world feel a bit more magical for a while but I've never seen a lamppost that would indicate I've finally found Narnia after all these years of searching!
:)

June said...

Truly beautiful photos, Patricia. Very mystical and magical and soft dream-like....I'm not a huge fan of snow to drive in, but to look at - when it's first falling, or when it's freshly fallen and settled, it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing these photos, and one of my all-time favourite poems, as well.