I have been somewhat remiss this week in my postings so in recompense I am treating you all to THE recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding...if you have never had this before go and make it NOW, if you have... this is better than any you've had before so go and make it NOW!!!!
I am giving the recipe in weights and an approximation of cups also, but try to weigh if you can, it will be better, honest!
By the by a 'pudding' in Blighty means any dessert so if you are not familiar with the term in that context think of this as a form of coffee cake with a toffee icing!
6oz stoned dates preferably medjool..they are stickier and gooier and just plain better
8oz flour sifted..about 2 cups unsifted
1 teaspoon baking powder sifted with flour
1 large egg, whisked
6oz sugar....prefably brown but fine, about 3/4 cup
2oz butter...surely you can work that one out!
10fl oz boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarb ie baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 1/2oz brown sugar...oops didn't figure that one out, I suppose a bit more than 1/4 cup
1 1/2 oz butter
2 tablespoons cream or half and half
NB I usually double the toffee recipe and you'll see why when you've eaten it!!
1. Cover dates with boiling water, add vanilla and baking soda...let stand
2. Cream the living daylights out of the butter and sugar
3. Add whisked egg gradually to the butter and sugar beating in between additions
4. Add flour in thirds and cream between additions
5. Add sloppy datey goo to creamy floury goo and blend well...you will have a nice runny batter
6. Pour into greased 9 x 9 glass pan and bake for 40 minutes or so at 375F
1. Heat sugar, cream and butter together in a small pan until sugar has dissolved
2. Pour over the baked pudding and place under hot grill 'til it bubbles.
Et voila....there's your sticky toffee pudding...wait until it is cool to serve...with vanilla ice cream if you fancy. BUT best of all save the corners for breakfast next day...if you can!!!
Let me know if you make it and how it came out...this recipe has never failed me and everyone I have served it to is hooked.
PS Saw a GREAT movie a couple of nights ago "Once"...didn't know what to expect, knew nothing about it but loved it and thought the music was excellent.