Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Flapjacks, British Country Living and a cup of tea!!

 British Flapjacks, an oaty biscuit/cookie….not pancakes which are sometimes called flapjacks in the US and Canada….you'll love them!!

I don’t remember eating too many Flapjacks in Blighty…AND WHY NOT I now ask myself…they are really delectable!! They are crunchy, chewy, buttery, sugary and oaty…they are very caramelly and I have added an extra bit of salt to give them that wonderful counterpoint against the rounded sweetness of sugar and butter.

This is about the easiest cookie/biscuit you will ever make, this recipe doubles easily, if not quadruples...you may want to go that far!!

From “Farmhouse Kitchen 2” Yorkshire Television

INGREDIENTS:
3oz/6Tbsp butter...I use salted
1 Tbsp of  honey
1Tbsp of molasses/treacle/maple syrup
(you can do 2 Tbsp of either honey or molasses or golden syrup or maple syrup whatever combination of those you like…I liked the honey with the molasses to give a depth of flavour BUT if you have Golden Syrup on hand that would be excellent too…it is a little harder to find…actually you’ll be making these more than once I almost guarantee so try it a different
way each time!)
3oz/a very scant ½ cup sugar…I used a blond organic sugar because I used molasses but if you don’t use molasses then use brown sugar of some form.
5oz/1½ cups oats…I used quick cooking organic oats…you can use regular, rolled - the result will be more chewy AND more traditional, just don’t use instant.
A goodly pinch of salt

METHOD:Pre-heat oven to 350F
  1. Lightly grease a round baking tin…this recipe is good for a 9” diameter one
  2. Melt butter, salt, sugar and liquid sweeteners gently until sugar has melted.
  3. Stir melted butteriness into oats and coat evenly.
  4.  Spread mixture evenly into tin.
  5. Bake in centre of oven ‘til nicely golden browned and a little dark at the edges and slightly bubbling all over, see photo, this should be about 20 minutes at 350.
  6. Remove from oven even though the mix looks too loose if you jiggle it…it will quickly set up as it cools.
  7. After about 10 minutes run a knife around the edge of the tin to loosen the flapjacks.
  8. Leave in the tin to cool, if you take it out before it is completely cool it could be really sticky in the pan - before you remove from the pan cut into four sections with a sharp knife - then gently pry one quarter out and put on a board and then cut in two or three with a seesaw motion of the knife - I have found this is by far the best way to get them cut into nice clean edged pieces - some recipes say to cut whilst still warm but that leaves ugly squushed edges - cutting when they are almost cold is more effort but the flapjacks look so much better..
  9. It does seem/look a bit greasy before it is cooled completely.
  10. Eat and smile…I defy you to eat just the one…
Happy Baking!!

 I LOVE British Country Living magazine, it is my favourite mag in the world and I recommend you take a look if you see it for sale anywhere. My January copy arrived today and the flapjack along with a cuppa was the perfect complement to my reading.

Please follow these links to some other wonderful Tea Time Treats :)



 Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

Tracy said...

The first try is out of the oven, smelling yummy, and I KNOW we'll be making this again. I went with all honey and brown sugar, but I used my pie pan rather than the cake pan. It's not quite as big around and I think the flapjack is a bit too thick. I also used thick rolled oats, so maybe they didn't absorb as much of the butter/sugars.

What temp did you bake yours at?

Thanks for the recipe! Maybe I'll make another this afternoon!

Awfully Nice said...

Lovely recipe!! Flapjacks are definitely the more under-rated biscuit/cake counterpart of the bakery world! Yuuum.

The Starved Idiot said...

this cold January morning just BEGS for this recipe to be made!

Unknown said...

yumm!

Karen S Booth said...

FABULOUS entry for Tea Time Treats, thanks so much and I DO love flapjacks! Karen

Pattern Patisserie said...

Thanks so much Karen - I am trying to introduce Flapjacks to the US - they are an unknown quantity here where their name implies pancakes - but they shouldn't be deprived of such a simple and scrumptious treat should they! Happy Baking, Patricia