Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pink meringues, rain and kittens

Look at these beautiful little puffs of perfect pale pinkness, what could they be for??? Actually they are the beginning of a new illustration project I am setting myself which shall be revealed when I am finished probably in about 10 days time. Yesterday began rainy and gloomy but then the weather brightened and I thought I would go ahead and make my little pink meringues.....but I was wrong, the weather went down the tubes and up the spout and I ended up with crinkly, uneven and sticky meringues that won't work for their intended purpose...so it is indeed true, not that I didn't believe it, that you can't make meringues in rainy weather
Here are the crinkly baked meringues, craggy finish and all. I will have to wait until the projected tropical weather weekend we are now looking forward to to make the meringues again.
Harry is considering whether he should check out the meringues or not.....
...curiosity got the better of him!!

5 comments:

Eli said...

I didn't know that meringues can't be made in rainy weather!!! Hope that "tropical weather" arrives soon in Maine... to be able to see your new illustration project! Bye from Italy. Eli
p.s. here weather is not better than in your area so, no meringues at all!

Nic said...

Ah ha! I see you've got rain instead of snow!
What a shame about the meringues, they look so beautiful in that first pic too. Bet they still tasted good though, and your kitty is so cute, did he eat them?

Frances said...

Oh my, it is a treat to visit this site for the very first time. I arrived via the wonderful Acornmoon, and will be sure to return.

It is very inspiring to see what is going on in your part of Maine. Sometimes living in NYC robs us of using our own imaginations, as we are bombarded by perhaps too much stimulation.

Your baking and artwork are fabulous.

Cheers!

Admin said...

There have been times when the defiant/rebellious part of me was tempted to make meringues when it rains or snows, but the frugal side (I don't want to waste food!) always won out. Now I know that rule is not to be messed with. :)

The crackly meringues look kind of cool, though -- with the textured/mosaic finish. Besides, I bet they taste good.

Leela

Jelli said...

Oh Harry! I want a cat so badly. He surely is cute and certainly has good taste!!